about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

embroidery basics // i heart tidy embroidery // part 2

Keeping the back of your work tidy


Do you ever watch action movies? Very often there'll be a scene where someone is being chased, and as they run, they frequently look over their shoulder. Honestly, this drives me crazy. Do they not realize that they'd be better off to just look forward and keep running? The more they look back, the more likely they are to mess up their getaway.

The opposite is true for stitching with a pretty backside. Wait...that came out wrong.

The point here is that keeping the back of your embroidery neat and tidy is a very good thing. It can make your work more secure, and yes, it does result in a pretty backside (of your stitching). To accomplish this, watch your back.

Keeping the back of your work tidy

Here's a tiny tulip-ish design that I stitched up. (I'm showing this in a small way, but you'll get the idea, because even small, you can see the difference.) Unlike our runner in the action movie, I stayed focused on what was in front of me and only worked on what I could see on the front.

Keeping the back of your work tidy

This is the result. It's not too bad really, but consider that this tulip is less than 1 inch tall. What if it was twice that size? Instead of being just pretty, my stretch of thread would be pretty ugly. Like this:

Ugly backs

This is something that I was stitching not too long ago, and it seems that I started stitching in a different place than where I thought I had left off. And I didn't notice it until I had finished the rest of the embroidery. Seriously? I should have watched my back.

Keeping the back of your work tidy
Keeping the back of your work tidy

To avoid a big line of floss across the back of your work, weave the thread into the back of your stitches as you travel to the place where you'll start stitching. I'm working all in one color here, but very often this is something you'd do when moving to another area that needs the color you're working with. Instead of jumping, slither.

Keeping the back of your work tidy

While we're at it, watching your back means looking for the most efficient way to stitch. Take the path that will show less stitches on the back. Think ahead and start in an area that will lead your stitching where you want to go.

Had I started at the bottom of this tulip, I would have ended there, and not needed to slither my needle through the backs of the stitches.

Keeping the back of your work tidy
Keeping the back of your work tidy

Let's go back to that jumping idea. Part of watching your back means not just hopping over to a new section of stitching. Could you do this? Sure. Is starting a fresh spot of embroidery a bit of a pain? Sometimes. But wouldn't you rather have tidy embroidery with woven tails and no stretches of floss lines? Yes.

Depending on how exposed the back of my embroidery will be, or how sheer my fabric is, my general rule is that I won't jump more than 1/4 inch. Some patterns make this difficult or impossible to follow, but I try to stick to this.

Ugly backs

And just to more fully convince you to watch your back, I present this knot. Does this ever happen to you? I've never worked with embroidery floss that doesn't do this at least sometimes.

If you are in the habit of looking at the back of your embroidery as you work (not every stitch, but often), you'll spot these early instead of after you've stitched three inches of beautiful stem stitch. There's nothing quite so disheartening to my embroidery as finding this nasty surprise on the back, because it usually has an extra loop of floss hanging there too. Watch your back and you'll find these as they happen...so much easier to fix!

So there's my big tip that can change the way you stitch. I don't want you thinking that embroidery is a villain chasing you through crowded streets, but I do hope that you'll stitch like an action star and watch your back!

7 comments:

  1. Super helpful tips right now! I'm getting ready to start a huge embroidery project that will be requiring a lot of stopping and starting, but I totally agree with you - not jumping around pays off in the end. Though "embroiderers have cute backsides" sounds like a bad craft conference t-shirt! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! something I've always wanted to try embroidery :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah. I will try and make sure I watch my back. Thanks again for sharing some great tips. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice and tutorial :) My Stitchy Guru Mother always called this the "travelling" method when she taught me embroidery, but I like "slithering" too! I've also done the whole mysteriously-jumping-across-the-pattern thing, but at least if the trial is long enough, you can cut it in the middle and darn the ends back in. And knots *always* happen to me too, often when I least have the time or patience to deal with them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What type of floss do you use? I have always used regular 6 ply DMC, but yours looks so much thicker. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last photo (with the knot!) is Artiste from Hobby Lobby. I'm giving it a try because I love the colors. Everything else here is DMC, which I love and use almost exclusively. I used 3 strands for these.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for all these good tips, they are very helpful to me a beginner.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!